Header Ads

WIMBLEDON F: HALEP WAS NOT ABOUT WINNING THE TOURNAMENT ON SOD




Simona Halep raised the girls' Wimbledon Trophy this Saturday afternoon. The Romanian, seeded number 7 returns on this incredible victory after his match.

How did you neutralize Serena Williams today?

"I knew that I had to be aggressive, be 100% on every ball, that I did not have to let her come back in the match because she is so powerful and so strong. She knows how to handle every moment. (...) I'm sure it was the best game of my life. On the grass against her, it's never easy. So I'm very proud of my match today and the entire tournament. (...) I work hard every day, for every game, every tournament. That's why I was able to win this tournament. I am happy that I have accomplished these last two weeks. I can not describe how I feel about winning Wimbledon. It's pretty special. "

Have you been able to stop thinking too much and let your instinct take over?

"I thought about the match, but I did not think about my opponent at all. I was always a bit intimidated when I faced Serena. She is an inspiration and a model for all. Today, I decided before the game that I was going to focus on myself and the Grand Slam final, not on her. That's why I was able to do my best, to be relaxed and to be positive and confident. "

You said that you were very nervous before the match, that you had a stomach ache. How did you overcome that?

"The nerves were positive this time. So nothing was negative. I felt it in the stomach. I tried to control the emotions. I tried to focus on the game. (...) I always play well when I have emotions. I do not try to ignore them or fight them. "

Did you think that winning Wimbledon was a possibility for you?

"I never thought about it, to be honest. (...) It was hard to believe because we do not even have a grass field in Romania. It is something very far away. (...) I never thought that I could win on the grass ... With all these players who are very big and who serve with a lot of power. But this year, I started to feel more and more about the game. I started to feel safe on the court, which helped me a lot to believe it. (...) It was my mother's dream. When I was ten, my mother told me that if I had to do something important in tennis, I had to play a Wimbledon final. (...) She did not tell me anything, because she was crying. (Smile) "

Some players, when they win their first Grand Slam, are afraid of never winning more. Did you experience such feelings after Roland Garros 2018?

"I must admit, I thought I was even better at winning another one. Once you have won one, you have the feeling of knowing what it is. You take it a little easier. It's never easy, but you take it a little easier. It motivated me after winning first. (...) I continue to work for that. I am already looking forward to upcoming tournaments and upcoming challenges. "
Powered by Blogger.